Skip to main content

Blue Army of Our Lady of Fatima collection

 Collection
Identifier: CSC-008
This collection consists of pamphlets and prayer cards published and distributed by the Blue Army of Our Lady of Fatima. The pamphlets cover topics such as the Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, the Morning Offering, the pledge of Blue Army members, and praying the rosary. Items in this collection were distributed by both the national headquarters of the Blue Army, in Washington, New Jersey, and the Dayton local branch. One pamphlet has a green scapular attached. Folder 2 contains a copy of "The Miracle of Alexandrina" by Francis Johnston, a booklet published by the Blue Army about Blessed Alexandrina of Balasar, a Portuguese mystic.

Dates

  • 1941-1978

Creator

General Physical Description note

1 boxes

Restrictions on Access

This collection is open and available to the public for research in the U.S. Catholic Special Collections reading room. The materials are non-circulating.

Copyright Notice

Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.

Extent

0.125 Linear Feet (2 folders in Small Collections Box 1)

Abstract:

Pamphlets and prayer cards distributed by the Blue Army of Our Lady of Fatima.

History of the Blue Army of Our Lady of Fatima

Our Lady of Fatima is a title given to the Virgin Mary in honor of her apparition to three children in Fatima, Portugal in 1917. According to the children, the Virgin Mary revealed three secrets, including one that the conversion of Russia would lead to world peace.

The Blue Army of Our Lady of Fatima was founded in 1946 by Father Harold Colgan of Plainfield, New Jersey. Following his recovery from a severe illness, he vowed to spend the rest of his life spreading the devotion to Our Lady of Fatima. Blue Army members believed that through daily prayer, usually in the form of the Rosary, they could bring about world peace. Father Colgan described the group by saying, "We will be the Blue Army of Mary and Christ, against the Red of the world and of Satan." For many years, the Blue Army devoted itself to praying for an end to communism; Colgan received a papal blessing from Pius XII in 1947 to further this mission.

The Blue Army was instantly popular in the United States and around the world. There were over one million members in the Blue Army by 1950, and five million by 1953. One could become a member through a pledge of devotion to Our Lady, including vows to say the Rosary daily and wear the brown scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

Today the Blue Army is known as the World Apostolate of Fatima, and has its world headquarters in Fatima, Portugal. In the United States, they are headquartered at the Blue Army Shrine of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, in Washington Township, New Jersey. Currently there are over 20 million members of the Blue Army worldwide.

Statement of Arrangement

Most of the materials in this collection are undated; however, they have been arranged in approximate chronological order.

Location:

U.S. Catholic Special Collections, 302 Roesch Library

Acquisition Information

Collected for the U.S. Catholic Special Collection by Dr. Nicoletta Hary.

Related Materials in the U.S. Catholic Special Collection

"There is Nothing More": Our Lady's Last Words at Fatima: The Blue Army Pledge to Our Lady of Fatima. Washington, NJ: AMI Press, 1970. BT660.F3 T44 1970z.

General Physical Description note

1 boxes

Creator

Title
Finding aid for the Blue Army of Our Lady of Fatima collection
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Colleen Mahoney
Date
2012
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Roesch Library Repository

Contact:
300 College Park Dr.
Dayton Ohio 45469-1360